Back to Hope LLC is a woman-owned, LGBTQIA and family-owned business in Portland, Oregon. We are registered as a Benefit Corporation with the Oregon Secretary of State, and certification as a Benefit Corporation/Green Business is coming soon.
Our Core Values
While we certainly hope to make a profit doing what we love, everything we do takes into consideration the impact we have on people and the planet. This is traditionally referred to as the “triple bottom line” of People, Planet and Profit. Our activities both as a business and in our personal lives have a substantial impact, and we do our best to tread as lightly and compassionately as possible – while always striving to be better.
- We are enrolled in our energy provider’s Renewable Power option. This means that all of the electricity we use in running our business and creating our products is 100 percent renewable, generated from wind, solar and geothermal power. In addition, this helps to fund renewable energy projects in Oregon, create local jobs, and support underserved communities. You can learn more on PGE’s website.
- We also participate in Habitat Support, a program that donates directly to the Nature Conservancy and helps fund projects that restore local fish habitat.
- All of the materials we purchase for packaging and shipping products are 100% reusable or compostable, and made from recycled materials whenever possible. NO PLASTIC, EVER. We strive to be completely plastic-free and zero-waste. You can learn more about our suppliers and materials here.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle! We don’t use paper towels, for example; we recycle old towels into rags. Glass bottles and jars are sterilized and re-purposed to store essential oil blends and other materials in. We compost, recycle, and generally try to reduce our footprint as much as possible.
- Non-toxic everything. Instead of harsh chemicals, we use homemade cleaners made from things like vinegar and baking soda, and powerful essential oils with proven anti-bacterial and anti-viral qualities.
- Products are sourced carefully to be organic, fair-trade, local, ethically-made, sustainably grown, or wildcrafted whenever possible. We harvest many of the herbs ourselves, and are constantly working to build local partnerships with sustainable suppliers who practice good stewardship of the land.
Social Justice & Community Support
- Community support is incredibly important to us, now more than ever – and a huge part of our purpose. We are active in our local community, helping wherever we can and building relationships.
- We donate a substantial amount of product, KN95 masks, and other supplies regularly to local mutual aid groups, nonprofit organizations, and individuals in need.
- BLACK LIVES MATTER. That one’s important enough to capitalize. I wish it didn’t even have to be said, but it does – and we back that up with action. Diversity is celebrated, supported, and fought for here.
- We value authenticity and transparency in all that we do; please reach out to us if you feel like there’s something we can do better! There is always room for improvement.
- Want to be more involved in social justice action? Check out this Community Tool Box.