A lifelong dream has been to help build a network of climate-resilient, egalitarian, joyful communities. We are actively working with other like-minded folx to make that vision a reality.
Immediate Community Opportunity
The Laurelwood Academy, an historic boarding school about 45 minutes from Portland, OR, is going up for auction on October 4th. With space for over 100 residents and facilities for all manner of activities, this property has the potential to become an instant intentional community.
Do you believe in community and have an entrepreneurial spirit? Do you want to be part of developing a new model for community? With the right group of people and enough funding we can repurpose this existing infrastructure right now.
Vision, Ownership, Expectations
We envision a community that is socially enriching, economically thriving, and ecologically sustainable. Core principles for this community could include:
- Community Engagement & Personal Responsibility
- Resilience, Sustainability & Self-Sufficiency
- Cooperative Governance & Culture
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI)
- Creativity, Learning, & Innovation
We see the potential on this property for significant food production, regenerative business incubation, art and play, and working towards goals such as zero waste and net-zero energy.
We are seeking people to join this project in a variety of capacities. We need enough capital to purchase the property and cover start-up costs, but participation is open even if you have limited or no capital to contribute. Everyone who invests money will either be bought out over time, completely if they are non-residents, or down to a standard share if they are residents. For those without funds to contribute, a “sweat equity” option for covering their share will be available. Decision-making power will be held by resident-owners with input from non-resident-owners.
To maintain a vibrant and healthy community, residents will need to meet a variety of responsibilities, including:
- Active participation in the governance, management, decision-making, and social-culture of the community
- Contributing financially and with labor on an ongoing basis towards the buy-out of investments, maintenance and upkeep, as well as the fulfillment of the core principles of the community
- Annual trainings/refreshers in cooperative governance, management & decision-making, facilitation, DEI, conflict resolution, or others as needed
- Engaging in social hygiene and conflict resolution processes to keep the social fabric of the community strong, and doing the personal work needed for this
The turn-around time for this project is very fast. In addition to determining if we have the funding to make a viable bid and cover start-up costs, there are a variety of aspects that need to be developed or investigated to determine if this is a viable project.
If you want to get involved we need to know how much, if any, capital you are willing to invest. We estimate needing as much as $1.5M for a winning bid, and $1M in start-up costs, for a total of $2.5M in investments.
We also need to know if there are areas of Due Diligence you are able to contribute time and/or expertise to. These areas include:
- Recruiting investors
- Identity, Governance, Financial/Ownership model
- Neighbors and City, Zoning, Permits
- Environmental, Title work, Insurance
- Water and Sewer
- Electrical and Gas
- Building Inspections, Renovations, Roads
If you would like to participate in upcoming meetings for this project, please fill out this form and we’ll be in touch.